December 21, 2011

Ah, the cold...


I happen to love winter. I feel at home in the cold, bundled up in a warm jacket, drinking hot cocoa. Snow in Kentucky is beautiful, and blue jays are everywhere. I haven't seen a cardinal yet, but I'm sure one will pop up in my line of sight somewhere around January when it starts to snow.
I also love how winter leads to spring. Everything pauses, the trees, flowers, and wildlife all included, in lieu of reaching high to the sun to grow. Nature itself hibernates. It pauses to allow its citizens to reevaluate, if you will, their position in this beautiful world of ours.
I've learned to appreciate the inclement weather here.  I know there's a purpose for the dreary dismal days when rain drizzles down, never really ending. It's to keep us alive. If every day were sunny and warm, we wouldn't appreciate it as much. Most school-aged kids learn that here. A snow day every now and then is a welcome break, but when you have an unexpected week off from school, you don't know what to do with yourself. The occasional unexpected peace can be the biggest blessing of all.
This beautiful season gives us a break from the mundane. One day you will walk outside in the sunshine, and two hours later it will be dark and rain will be pouring from the sky. It gives me an excuse to stay inside and spend time with my family, even though I, like every other teenager, pretend that they're annoying. Winter gives me an excuse to say I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment